“The only way to undo racism is to consistently identify and describe it…and then dismantle it.” Ibram X. Kendi
Buffalo Prep’s Youth Equity Academy (YEA!) is a civic engagement program for high school students who want to transcend racism and inequality. Participants engage in a year-long series of workshops to promote antiracism and racial equity throughout our community. At the culmination of the program, students select a topic related to social justice and create a public awareness campaign for their capstone projects.
YEA! workshop examples include:
- Diversity & Inclusion, Equity & Equality
- Segregation in Buffalo and Myths About Poverty
- Systemic Racism
- Contemporary Racism & How It Shows up Today (Incarcerations & Healthcare)
- Implicit Bias & Microaggressions
- White Privilege
- Allyship & How to Leverage Your Privilege
Who can join?
- Any high school student currently enrolled in an Education Collaborative of WNY school
What is the time commitment?
- One Saturday morning each month from 11:00am-12:30pm
What are the benefits?
- Expand your knowledge of racial and social justice issues
- Learn effective methods to promote antiracism and educational equity in your community
- Successful completion of YEA! is great for your resume and college application
- Network and engage with peers from other schools
To learn more, contact Alexys Swygert, Director of College Prep Services, at email@example.com.